*   Tel: (817) 481-6616   *   Fax: CALL
Western Firearms Co.   *   P.O. Box 451   *   Grapevine, Texas 76099
Selective Fire Weapons
Semi Auto Weapons
Special Weapons
Short Barrel Weapons / AOW's
Night Vision / Optics
Magazines & Clips
Custom Ammunition
Penalty Box
Rare Thompson Accessories
How to Own Class III Weapons
Class III Sales
Pre 1986 Dealer Only Samples
Post 1986 Dealer Only Samples
Western Firearms Company
Basic Guidelines
Corporate Transfers
Out of State Transfers
Payment Policies
State Laws

How to Own Class III Weapons
Basic Guidelines

Listed below is our policy regarding state laws restricting the sale of certain firearms, magazines, ammunition, and accessories. It is your responsibility to be or become familiar and abide with your state laws.

We do not ship, sell, or offer for sale any weapons, magazines or ammunition to anyone in the following states:






New Jersey

New York

In Colorado. The sale of high capacity magazine are restricted.

In addition, all weapons, magazines, ammunition, and accessories are not for sale in any state, district or territory where the receipt, possession, sale or use of any such items is prohibited.


How To Own A Class 3 Weapon

Owning a class 3 weapon (machine gun / silencer) is relatively simple. There are several rules and regulations that individuals must comply with. They are very simple and one should not be intimidated by paperwork. First let me address a few questions, before you ask them.

You may only own a machine gun that was manufactured and registered with the BATF before May 19, 1986. Weapons manufactured after that date are restricted for Military and Law Enforcement use only. Economics 101, the law of supply and demand should start coming to mind by now. This is why these weapons are somewhat “pricey”, when compared to current production weapons. “Simply”, the reserves not being available, controlled commodities always make for an excellent investment. The price is only going one place, Up!

An individual purchasing a “ National Firearms Act Weapon “, NFA weapon or class 3 weapon is required to pay a one time, $200 Federal Excise Tax fee, per weapon. This fee has been the same, since 1934. It has never changed or has the simple requirement for owning a NFA weapon. These rules and regulation were set forth in 1934, because of the readily availability of machine guns to people like, Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, etc.. They permitted the Department of Justice to prosecute criminals under Federal Law. This had a little more "bite" than local laws.

To obtain an NFA weapon, you must first select one. The reason is, forms are required to transfer the weapon from seller to buyer, requiring specific information. There are several types of forms to accommodate these transfers. A form “3”, accommodates dealer to dealer transfers (Class 3, in or out of state). A form “4”, accommodates dealer to individual transfers, within the state. Unlicensed individuals may not transfer class 3 weapons directly into their state. An active Class 3 license is required to execute the transfer. If you hold an active standard FFL, you may transfer the weapon in directly, however the photographs, and fingerprint cards are still required, as well as the $200 FET. We will be happy to help you in the selection of a reputable Class 3 dealer in the state that you live in, however, the final decision will be yours.

The form “4” is quite simple. It will be filled out in triplicate by your Class 3 dealer, showing the current owner of the weapon and address, your name and address, description of the weapon and serial number, etc.. You will be given the forms, along with a set of fingerprint cards. On the back of the form is a place for your photograph. If you are transferring the NFA weapon to your corporation, contact us for more details.

Return the forms along with your photographs (taped to the back), your fingerprint cards, and your check for $200, (payable to The Department of the Treasury) to your dealer. You will also be required to send one copy of the form to the local LEO in your area. The remaining set of forms will be forwarded to the BATF and they will begin the process of transferring the ownership of the weapon to your name or corporation. No, you don’t give up all your rights at this point. It is the question that I get asked the most at this point. Search warrants are still required by law, these days, even for an individual that owns a class 3 weapon. These are “bubba” stories.

If you are really sincere about owning one of these very rare weapons, please feel free to contact us. We will show you how to legally obtain one. That is what we get paid for. All transactions are confidential, that is Federal Law!

Nick Tilotta or (817) 481-6616